Our PE Policy can be found here.
At Combe CE Primary School, we want pupils to be athletes who have:
- The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of PE.
- The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
- High levels of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- Exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- A keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
We promote the importance of an active and healthy lifestyle. Through our curriculum we actively encourage positive attitudes towards sport and develop competitive but respectful attitudes to participation and competition. As part of the West Oxfordshire Schools Sports Partnership, we provide many opportunities to participate in sporting events and tournaments across Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. We also have good links with local sports clubs and children benefit from coaching from trained professionals in specific areas.
Our aspiration at Combe CE Primary School is to deliver high quality Physical Education in all year groups. Wherever possible links are made to termly topics (e.g. dance), but where links are unable to be made the PE curriculum is taught discretely. We teach games skills, gymnastics, dance and athletics across the school. Outdoor Adventurous Activities (OAA) is taught at Upper Key Stage 2. Swimming is taught at Key Stage 2. Please see curriculum map below for coverage of PE taught across the school. PE is taught for minimum 2 hours per week.
Swimming is taught at the Windrush Leisure Centre, Witney by Leisure Centre Staff. In 2019-2020, all children in Year 3 and 4 will swim in the Spring Term. We will also offer swimming to any Key Stage 2 children until they can swim confidently and safely, reaching the national expectations in the Summer Term.
At the end of the 2018-2019 academic year, 100% of Year 6 met the expected standard in swimming. This means they could:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
PE and Sports Premium
PE & Sport Premium is funding provided to primary schools to enhance the provision of PE and sport. It is for schools to decide how the PE and sport funding is spent based on five key indicators. You can see how we spent the 2019-2020 spending here.
We are pleased to have achieved Bronze Kitemark Award for the past 3 academic years, which exemplifies our commitment to delivering a broad and robust PE curriculum to all children at our school.